Print
Email
>
>
Cemetery

Cemetery

From its earliest days, St. Anne's has had a cemetery, and the cemetery remains an integral part of our parish to this day. We believe that a cemetery is a place of healing and hope. It allows a relationship to be acknowledged, remembered, changed and incorporated into the present, where the mourner can acknowledge his loved one's existence, where we can renew our faith as well as our spirit.

Spaces for burials are still available. More information: contact Mark LaBuda msl36@aol.com, 410-267-7184 or 410-353-7436.

Location

Two locations compose St. Anne's Cemetery. The first is the area around the church which has been used as a cemetery since 1692. The second - far larger - section is located today, as it has been for the last 200 years, between Northwest Street and College Creek.

Directions to St. Anne's Cemetery

Intersection of Northwest St & W Washington St, Annapolis, MD 21401

History of the Cemetery

Under the planning of Governor Francis Nicholson St. Anne's church was placed on the second highest piece of land in Annapolis; the highest was reserved for the State House. The burial grounds around the church were at one time much larger than what presently exists. Annapolis' growth and especially the construction of the street around the circle, have reduced the cemetery to only a representative sample of what existed in the 18th century. It is reported in an early 20th century newspaper article that graves extended all the way to the Post Office and Government House.

The section of the cemetery adjacent to College Creek (formerly called Dorsey Creek) was bequeathed by Miss Elizabeth Bordley in 1790. In 1783 the vestry of St. Anne's declared that the churchyard cemetery was filled therefore relocation was necessary. Through the years additional lands have been added to the cemetery. The Locust Grove Cemetery was the first addition in 1887. In 1961 the flat ground near the Arundel Center and the Goldstein Treasury Building was deeded to the cemetery by the city. The last addition came in 1990 with the merger of the Cedar Bluff Cemetery at the corner of Northwest and Washington Streets. Cedar Bluff was established in 1896 by a provision of the will of Elizabeth V. Davis.

Among the tombstones in the churchyard are those of five 17th-Century Marylanders: Col. Nicholas Greenberry (1627-1697) acting governor in 1694, and Ann, his wife (1648-1698); Major General John Hammond (1643-1707); Captain John Worthington (1650-1701); and Henry Ridgely (1669-1700). There are also grave stones of the first Mayor of Annapolis, Amos Garrett (1671-1727), and several other colonial worthies, including William Bladen (1670-1718), Benjamin Tasker, Sr. (1691-1768) who was President of the Maryland Council for thirty-two years and acting Governor of Maryland on several occasions; and his son, Benjamin Tasker, Jr. (1721-1760); Margaret Tilghman Carroll (1743-1817); and of the last British Governor of Maryland, Sir Robert Eden (1741-1784), whom George III created "Baronet of Maryland." Governor Eden returned to Annapolis after the Revolutionary War and died here. He was originally buried at St. Margaret's Church, but his mortal remains were moved to St. Anne's churchyard in 1926 by the Society of Colonial Wars who erected the monument.

In recent years the vault of Margaret Tilghman Carroll, daughter of Matthew Tilghman, on the north side of the church was opened and the mortal remains of several members of the Carroll family were identified in addition to her own, including: Dr. Charles Carroll (1691-1755), his second wife Anne Plater Carroll (d. 1766), his younger son John Henry Carroll (1732-1754), his elder son, the eminent constitutional lawyer and patriot, Charles Carroll, the Barrister (1723-1783) and husband of Margaret Tilghman Carroll.

Many other interments are no longer marked by stones, including the Bordley family vault beneath the ground behind the east end of the church. Discovered recently when a hole was dug to plant a tree, the vault was opened and found to contain three coffins, one of which bears a silver plate with the name of Margaret Chew Bordley (died 1773), first wife of John Beale Bordley (1727-1804), the celebrated agriculturist and animal breeder. She was a sister of Molly Chew, the first wife of Governor William Paca (1740-1804). Another coffin contains what is believed to be the remains (with his yellow wig still intact) of the prominent lawyer and bon vivant Stephen Bordley (ca. 1710-1764). The third is believed to be that of his socially accomplished sister, Elizabeth Bordley (1717-1789), who lived with her unmarried brother in the Bordley House and managed his household, famous in its day for its hospitality and cuisine. She is the same Elizabeth Bordley who in 1790 gave the bequest of land on College Creek which since then replaced the churchyard as St. Anne's Cemetery.

St. Anne's is also the final resting place for many other of Annapolis' citizens, both notable and ordinary, all of whom played a role in the history of the City of Annapolis, State of Maryland, and the United States. Among the notable Annapolitans are several people connected with the Hammond-Harwood House. Major John Hammond, great grandfather to Mathias Hammond, whose ancient tombstone was moved to the cemetery and can still be seen there. Mathias Hammond, John Hammond, and Philip Hammond, the first three owners of the house are not buried at St. Anne's Cemetery, but at Howard's Addition, located at what is now the Naval Academy Dairy Farm in Gambrills

Although the first Hammonds were not buried at St. Anne's they none the less all had strong connections with the church and all three men were at some point members of the Vestry.

Monuments to Ninian Pinkney who owned the Hammond-Harwood house from (1810-1811), Judge Jeremiah Townley Chase (1811-1828), Richard Chase (1828-1840), Francis Townley Chase Loockerman (1840-1857), Hester Anne Loockerman Harwood, Matilda L. Blair, and Townley Loockerman (1857-1890), and the last private owners Lucy and Hester Ann Harwood (1890-1924), can all be found in St. Anne's Cemetery.

Many of the other people who built the great houses of Annapolis are buried here: the Brices, Randalls, Ridouts, Worthingtons, Chases, Ogles, Carrolls, Pinkneys, Greens, Sands, and Shaws are only some of the names that can be found at St. Anne's Cemetery.

Veterans of all our wars are also buried here. Patriots of the American Revolution, War of 1812, Soldiers and Sailors of both the Union and Confederacy, Spanish American War, and all the wars of the 20th century.

Around 1913 the cemetery was managed by the Ladies Cemetery Association whose president was Mrs. Joseph McComas.

There was also a "Gentleman's Advisory Board." It was a time of change, for the "Keeper" of the cemetery had recently died and a new one was hired, financial changes were being made. The cemetery has always been a "City Cemetery" and as such has many graves of local citizens who were not members of St. Anne's Church. This association began work on improving the cemetery and raising money for the endowment fund. All lot owners at that time were requested to pay an annual fee for the cemetery's upkeep. Perpetual Care fees did not become a part of the sales price of lots until much later. Most of the older lots in the cemetery still do not have perpetual care paid for them.

Contact:

Mark LaBuda
msl36@aol.com
410-267-7184 or 410-353-7436


All Material © 2008 St. Anne's Church, Annapolis, MD 21401-2520

Powered by Agency of Record